- 20 Things You Should NOT Be Doing
- Rock Confidential Girl Leighann Word
- Aerosmith’s Steven Tyler Releases New ‘Skin City’ Song
- Flying Colors – Mask Machine
- Two Long Out-of-Print Jimi Hendrix Albums to Be Reissued
- Slipknot, Faith No More, Judas Priest, Soundgarden Confirmed For Australia’s Soundwave
- Gwar To Embark On ‘Eternal Tour’ In The Fall
- Nickelback – Edge Of A Revolution
- Buckcherry – Say Fuck It
- Joe Perry First ‘Rocks: My Life In And Out Of Aerosmith’ Book-Signing Appearances Announced
- Superjoint Ritual To Reunite For Appearance At Housecore Horror Film Festival
- Bush To Release ‘Man On The Run’ Album In October
- Darius Rucker Says He Is ‘Really Proud’ Of His Cover Version Of Motley Crue’s ‘Time For Change’
- Ace Frehley: Paul Stanley Is ‘Almost Becoming A Parody Of Himself’
- Ted Nugent Says He’s the Reason Damn Yankees Won’t Reunite
DEF LEPPARD Guitarist ‘Can’t Confirm’ Rumors Of Summer Tour With HEART And KANSAS
David “Gus” Griesinger of BackstageAxxess.com conducted an interview with DEF LEPPARD guitarist Phil Collen at the Anaheim Convention Center in Anaheim, California as part of the 2011 NAMM (National Association Of Music Merchants) show, a massive music-products convention that took place January 13-16. You can now watch the chat below.
DEF LEPPARD is putting together a live album culled from its 2009 tour that will include some new material as well. A May release is expected. In addition, the band is rumored to be planning a two-month North American tour with HEART and KANSAS for the summer.
DOWN ‘N OUTZ — a project fronted by DEF LEPPARD‘s Joe Elliott, backed by THE QUIREBOYS and playing rare tracks connected only by MOTT THE HOOPLE — will support Paul Rodgers (BAD COMPANY, FREE, QUEEN) on his U.K. tour in April.
DEF LEPPARD guitarist Vivian Campbell recently complained that his gig in the band is boring. Campbell, who’s now doing double duty playing with THIN LIZZY, previously enjoyed stints in DIO and WHITESNAKE before replacing the late Steve Clark in 1992. Campbell was quoted by Gibson.com as saying, “I’ve been in DEF LEPPARD for 20 years and, if I’m honest, it’s not a terribly challenging job for me as a guitar player. Phil Collen plays most of the widdly guitar parts and I do what I do.”
During an interview with Guitar International, Collen responded honestly, saying, “It’s all my [material]. Vivian joined a band that I helped create. He’s coming into my house! It’s not all the good parts, it’s the DEF LEPPARD sound that me and Steve [Clark] created. We got together with [producer] Mutt Lange and there was already a sound in place. Also, we play all the hits live, which were written before Viv was in the band.”
When pressed if he had any hard feelings for Campbell‘s critique on how the DEF LEPPARD‘s guitar parts are doled out, Collen said, “No, not at all. It’s just the way it falls. I can’t help that all my [expletive] sounds great!”align=center
Like this story? Sign up for "Rockwire" to get alerts about news on Rock Confidential.