- Aerosmith’s Steven Tyler Releases New ‘Skin City’ Song
- Flying Colors – Mask Machine
- Two Long Out-of-Print Jimi Hendrix Albums to Be Reissued
- Slipknot, Faith No More, Judas Priest, Soundgarden Confirmed For Australia’s Soundwave
- Gwar To Embark On ‘Eternal Tour’ In The Fall
- Nickelback – Edge Of A Revolution
- Buckcherry – Say Fuck It
- Joe Perry First ‘Rocks: My Life In And Out Of Aerosmith’ Book-Signing Appearances Announced
- Superjoint Ritual To Reunite For Appearance At Housecore Horror Film Festival
- Bush To Release ‘Man On The Run’ Album In October
- Darius Rucker Says He Is ‘Really Proud’ Of His Cover Version Of Motley Crue’s ‘Time For Change’
- Ace Frehley: Paul Stanley Is ‘Almost Becoming A Parody Of Himself’
- Ted Nugent Says He’s the Reason Damn Yankees Won’t Reunite
- Bob Seger Announces Release Date for New Album, ‘Ride Out’
- Glenn Danzig Working On EP Of Elvis Presley Covers
"The Story Of Rock 'N' Roll Comics" Coming To DVD April 24
This documentary tells the unbelievable story of Todd Loren, San Diego-based owner of Revolutionary Comics, famous for publishing the wildly popular “Rock ‘N’ Roll Comics” series.
The unauthorized and often controversial comics featured biographies of music groups such as KISS, the Sex Pistols and Metallica. Loved by some (Gene Simmons, Alice Cooper, Lemmy of Metallica) and threatened by others (Axl Rose, Skid Row, New Kids on the Block), over 300 issues of Rock ‘N’ Roll comics were printed, embracing all music genres: Rock, Alternative, Hip-Hop, Punk and Pop and they quickly became instant collector’s items. In a strange twist, Loren is found murdered in his condo in 1992, making people speculate that he may have the first victim of ‘serial’ killer Andrew Cunanan, leading to an absorbing mystery that still remains, unsolved today.
“THE STORY OF ROCK ‘N’ ROLL COMICS” streets April 24, 2012 with an S.R.P. of $19.99 and includes over TWO HOURS of extras including:
* 8 page liner notes insert
* Liner notes from “Rock ‘N’ Roll Comics” co-creator, Jay Allen Sanford
* Liner notes from rock critic Rob O’Connor (Rolling Stone, Spin, Yahoo)
* Vintage Musicade 60 second TV commerical
* Vintage 30 second Musicade commercial
* Cynthia Plaster Caster: Full uncut Interview
* Unauthorized Sports Comics featurette
* Mike Tyson Comic: TV News Story
* Unauthorized Conspiracy Comics: E! News Story
* KFMB CBS News report on Todd Loren’s murder
* Deleted Scene: Interview with Rock ‘N’ Roll Comics artist Robert Conte
* Deleted Scene: Interview with artist/ collector Duane Dimock
* Original Rock ‘N’ Roll Comics Cover Galleries (Over 100 covers)
* Wild Eye Releasing Trailers
Directed by Ilko Davidov (producer of “William Burroughs: A Man Within”), “THE STORY OF ROCK ‘N’ ROLL COMICS” examines the short, controversial life of publisher Todd Loren, whose scandalous series of unauthorized comic book biographies of rock stars charmed some (Gene Simmons, Jerry Garcia, Nick Mason of Pink Floyd) and enraged others (Axl Rose, Bon Jovi, Skid Row, New Kids on the Block) who eventually sued him.
In a landmark ruling however, the California Supreme Court decided that “Rock ‘N’ Roll Comics’ was protected by the First Amendment and that Loren could continue publishing. But in 1992, Loren is found dead in his condo and his murder opens up speculation that he might have been the first victim of serial killer Andrew Cunanan, murderer of fashion designer Gianni Versace
Mixing quirky animation, eerie home video of Todd Loren, investigative footage and interviews/commentaries from artists including Mojo Nixon, Alice Cooper, Gary Groth, Ian Shirley, Cynthia Plaster Caster and more, “THE STORY OF ROCK ‘N’ ROLL COMICS” is an engaging expose about a man, whose love of music and comic books left a cultural impact and whose life, and mysterious death, is just as colorful as the comics he created. The documentary is a Bulletproof Film production and produced by Carmine Cervi (Axis of Evil: Perforated Praeter Naturam) Chris Swider (Children in Exile) and Ilko Davidov.
Like this story? Sign up for "Rockwire" to get alerts about news on Rock Confidential.